6 Tips for Finding the Right Shoes
The right footwear makes a world of difference keeping your feet safe from many disorders. At Foot and Ankle Associates, LLP, we see many patients with foot ailments that often arise from wearing poorly fitting shoes. Even a good quality shoe can cause harm to your feet if it does not fit you properly. The right shoe choice can help keep your feet safe, functional, and in good shape. Finding the perfect footwear can make your day, help prevent disorders, and reduce the risk of injury.
Here are some important points to consider when choosing the most appropriate footwear.
1. Before you make any shoe purchase, have your foot measured by a professional. It is common for people to have one foot that is slightly bigger than the other. Opt for shoes that fit the larger foot, if there is not that big of a difference.
2. The size of our feet varies at different times of the day. Make sure to shop for shoes at the end of the day when they are largest.
3. Wear the right shoes for the right occasion. If you know that you will be running around a lot, then it is best to wear running shoes rather than flip-flops or high heels. Every activity has an appropriate shoe, as all shoes vary in structure, flexibility and comfort.
4. Try shoes with socks to ensure the best fit.
5. Check to see if you can wiggle all your toes when trying on new shoes. Ensure that there is enough room for your feet to move with the shoe as your walk.
6. Do not buy shoes that are uncomfortable. Try on both the shoes. Practice standing or walking in the store to ensure the shoes are not tight or causing any discomfort.
Wearing the right footwear can help avoid many foot ailments such as blisters, corns, bunions, hammertoes, and ankle sprains. It is important to consult a podiatrist for any foot disorders for proper diagnosis and treatment.
At Foot and Ankle Associates, LLP our foot doctors have the expertise to help your feet fight off any foot or ankle condition. For more information on footwear and foot health, call us at our offices located in Newark and Greenville, DE and Garnet Valley, Kennett Square and West Grove, PA.